VM detection bypass

Issues related to VMProtect
navossoc

VM detection bypass

Post by navossoc »

We had trouble with the "Virtualization tools" option, that can be bypassed in VMWare setting.
Some guys were able to easly debug our application by enabling this option into the the VMware VM's .vmx settings file:

Code: Select all

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "TRUE"
More info:
http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-advanced.html

Another thing is that the VMProtect's HardwareID can be easily changed by setting another MAC address into the computer.
The problem is that we're not using the HardwareID to make software licensing, but to identify the computer that's running it, then we can block some users from using it.

Is there any way to disable MAC into the HardwareID? Or just select what will be added into the HardwareID generation algorithm? We really need this option.

Thanks.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: VM detection bypass

Post by Admin »

1. Thanks for the information. We`ll check it.
2. You cannot rely on the HardwareID to identify the hardware yourself. If you need this feature, just get your own hardware identifier the way you need and store it in the user data field of the serial number.
navossoc

Post by navossoc »

Admin wrote:1. Thanks for the information. We`ll check it.
2. You cannot rely on the HardwareID to identify the hardware yourself. If you need this feature, just get your own hardware identifier the way you need and store it in the user data field of the serial number.
This release fix this issue with the VMWare?
http://vmpsoft.com/20110925/vmprotect-2-1/

I didn't see anything at the changelog, I'm waiting this fix to renew my license.

Thanks.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Unfortunately the last version does not fix this issue.