marker and string mutation?

Issues related to VMProtect
tryvmp

marker and string mutation?

Post by tryvmp »

so im quite new to VMP.

i tried to pack one of the example.exe (vc++) using vmp demo.

it uses VMProtectBegin macro for mutating the entire callback which also includes 4 strings.
and on top of that it also uses VMProtectDecryptStringA to mutate the strings

so is there any difference if you only check mark the VMProtectBegin for compiling
or we need to check mark the strings included in VMProtectDecryptStringA as well when compile

because the region for VMProtectBegin already included these strings
Admin
Site Admin

Re: marker and string mutation?

Post by Admin »

In your case VMProtectBegin has string references but does not include these strings in protection automatically. In other words: if you want to protect these string - you need include these strings into project (object list for protection).
tryvmp

Post by tryvmp »

so wait. are you saying any strings included in the VMProtectBegin marker isn't encrypted?

i need to use VMProtectDecryptStringA for any string i want to protect?

and is there any performance difference for encrypting string using mutation and virutalization.

here is a SS of what i mean

see VMProtectBegin actually included those strings
so i need to check on strings seperately if i wanna encrypt those?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

In the folders of VMProtectMarker "Test marker" you see ONLY information (calls, string references, import referenses etc) of this marker but this does not mean that all these "objects", for which there are references of this marker, will be automatically protected. There is only one rule - will protect only those objects that are included in the list for protection.
tryvmp

Post by tryvmp »

ok tx i think i got it :)

last question if you don't mind
is there any performance difference for encrypting string using mutation and virutalization?

because i have a DLL that contains several functions that maybe executing at handreds times per sec
which one do you suggest on using it performance wise in a packed dll?

as long as these code are unreadable. im ok with it.

i was a 2 years winlicense customer actually. but they only provide VM macro/codereplace for dll packing.
whenever i use them on any high performance code, my app gets extremely lagging which gives me no choice but remove any vm proteciton on it
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

For the best perfomance we are recommend to use the Mutation but in this case the level of protection against being cracked and analyzed is low (the protected strings will be invisible in the file with any compilation type).