Hardware ID

Issues related to VMProtect
fatalerror

Hardware ID

Post by fatalerror »

Is there an easy way to check if the hardware key entered is valid? I'm try to add hardware key validation to my site but from what i can see the hardware key varies in length.
Support

Re: Hardware ID

Post by Support »

fatalerror wrote:Is there an easy way to check if the hardware key entered is valid? I'm try to add hardware key validation to my site but from what i can see the hardware key varies in length.
Hardware identifiers don't have a "validity" mark. They don't contain checksums and so on. There are some limitations that are implementation-dependent and we don't want vendors to analyze HWID content, because in that case we will not be able to change them in the future without breaking your applications.

You may check that after decoding from base64, the length of data is a multiple of 4. You may check the total length of decoded data doesn't exceed 32 bytes. But as I said above, this is implementation dependent and may be changed in the future versions of VMProtect.
fatalerror

Post by fatalerror »

Thanks for your response i don't know if customers enter wrong codes often but perhaps an extra dword for CRC would have been a good idea I'm not too fused though. I just thought there was such a thing already.
Support

Post by Support »

We'll think about it. Thank you.
fatalerror

Post by fatalerror »

Actually I think its probably a bad Idea as it will break backward compatibility and current method is fine.