MiniDumpFixer can't fix the full dump

Issues related to VMProtect
cairolee

MiniDumpFixer can't fix the full dump

Post by cairolee »

Hi Sir,

As mentioned in the subject, I am unable to use MiniDumpFixer to correct the full dump.

I am using VMP 3.8.2 (build 1716) to protect my program. In my project, i use Google Breakpad to generate the dump file. i have set the MINIDUMP_TYPE to "MiniDumpWithFullMemory" for ensure Breakpad produces a full dump.

We hope to find a tool similar to MiniDumpFixer to address the issue of not being able to fix the full dump, so we don't need to modify our current workflow. If there isn't a tool available, a method or approach would also suffice. I greatly value your guidance on this matter and appreciate your technical support and insights.

By the way, I'm a paid user, so please don't block my account. :)
cairolee

Re: MiniDumpFixer can't fix the full dump

Post by cairolee »

Bump up
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Why do you think that MiniDumpFixer doesn't work with your dumps?
cairolee

Post by cairolee »

Thanks for your reply

I using Google Breakpad to create the crashdump when process crash.

In most scenarios, I generate dump files with the MINIDUMP_TYPE set to MiniDumpWithIndirectlyReferencedMemory | MiniDumpWithDataSegs. In my project, the resulting dump file is around 20MB in size. I can successfully "fix" this small-sized file using MiniDumpFixer.exe, and given a complete backup of the source code, pdb, and unprotected exe, I can directly analyze the dump file using Visual Studio. This process is very convenient.

However, we've encountered a few challenging program crashes where the above MINIDUMP_TYPE did not include the necessary information, halting our analysis.

As a result, we are considering allowing certain customer computers that repeatedly experience errors to generate dump files with the MINIDUMP_TYPE set to MiniDumpWithFullMemory. The file size for this type can be as large as 500-600MB. We successfully obtained the crash file and, following our previous procedure, used MiniDumpFixer.exe to "fix" it. Yet, even with a complete backup of the source code, pdb, and unprotected exe, Visual Studio could not load the dump file and pinpoint the corresponding code line.

Our project is a game server program compiled for the x86 platform, though customers run it on Windows x64 versions. When fixing the dump file, we use the x86 version of MiniDumpFixer.exe.

In conclusion, based on these observations, we speculate that MiniDumpFixer.exe might not be able to handle dump files of type MiniDumpWithFullMemory. We're unsure if it's due to the file's large size. If you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Does MiniDumpFixer show the message "DMP file sucessfully updated."?
Attachments
sources.zip
(2.49 KiB) Downloaded 312 times