Is VMProtect Reversible ?

Issues related to VMProtect
luleigreat

Is VMProtect Reversible ?

Post by luleigreat »

The reason I ask this question is not doubting about the reliability of your product.
I have used VMProtect for several months, the following questions let me feel headache:
1、Our product is in the test period, we use VM in our test version. But when there is a crash of our program, we couldn't check the reason any more using the .dmp file and .pdb file due to the VMP has changed the .text section in PE.

2、I compiled our program using VMP with a few marks of VMP like VMProtectBegin() and VMProtect End() function. But when it compile over,it seems that the whole code section is compiled with VMP protect.

3、I used vmp normally in our program.But there is a question: the process will crash sometimes with vmp-mark when proceeding some operation while the program runs ok without VMProtect. So I have to remove the marks around these code and it runs normally. A few times later, our manager decided not using VMP temporally.

For some reason, I can't send you our code now.
Is there some solution to my question?
Support

Re: Is VMProtect Reversible ?

Post by Support »

luleigreat wrote:1、Our product is in the test period, we use VM in our test version. But when there is a crash of our program, we couldn't check the reason any more using the .dmp file and .pdb file due to the VMP has changed the .text section in PE.
Few weeks ago we released a little tool that may help. Please take a look here.
luleigreat wrote:2、I compiled our program using VMP with a few marks of VMP like VMProtectBegin() and VMProtect End() function. But when it compile over,it seems that the whole code section is compiled with VMP protect.
This is hardly possible, to be 100% sure, we need to see the original file, protected file and the project. There's probably a region overlapping, but VMProtect should warn you about that.
luleigreat wrote:3、I used vmp normally in our program.But there is a question: the process will crash sometimes with vmp-mark when proceeding some operation while the program runs ok without VMProtect.
There were some issues like this in the past and in most cases it appeared that VMProtect reveals errors like uninitialized variables etc. VMProtect actively uses the same stack as your software, so you may get non-zero variable if you haven't initialized it yourself. Again, we need to see the executable to be 100% sure.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have further questions.
luleigreat

Re: Is VMProtect Reversible ?

Post by luleigreat »

Thanks very much for your reply one by one.
I am a little busy recently and I will try your solution when I have time. I think your answers will be very useful for me . The subsequent questions will be after that.
Thanks again!