Hardware ID change

Issues related to VMProtect
John

Hardware ID change

Post by John »

Hello, I bought VMProtect Ultimate a while ago, and I was testing the program, then I noticed that after formatting the PC, the Hardware ID of the system changes (in my case it changed the Host and the HDD identifiers), I would like to know if there would be a solution for this.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hardware ID change

Post by Admin »

Don't compare HWIDs by value.
John

Post by John »

After formatting the computer, the hardware id changes, as well as the licenses that I had generated for that HWID, so every time the customer formats the computer I will have to generate the license again for him, so he depends on me for that. I would like to know if there is any solution or workaround for this?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

VMProtect allows to change one "device" (except CPU) from HWID without reissue the serial number.
so every time the customer formats the computer I will have to generate the license again for him
Welcome to the real world :))
John

Post by John »

I know that, as I said after formatting it is changing two devices in HWID, the Host and the HDD, but the machine remains with all the same components, without being physically modified, even so the license that I generate is invalid whenever there is Windows formatting.

I think what should be done here would be to implement something like a Hardware ID 2.0, through new methods of verifying the computer's physical components.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I know that, as I said after formatting it is changing two devices in HWID, the Host and the HDD,
It seems you don't know what is Host. Host is the "Computer name" and this is exactly the same identifier as HDD/CPU/MAC. If the customer changed several identifiers of its computer and the serial number became invalid why this will be the the problem of the software vendor?
I think what should be done here would be to implement something like a Hardware ID 2.0, through new methods of verifying the computer's physical components.
You can implement own HWID and store it in the UserData field, but I don't think that it will solve the problem with changing of hardware on the customer side.
John

Post by John »

Got it, then the Host would change in this case, since after formatting the computer name will change, but what about the HDD? When formatting the HDD identifier should not change unless it is based on the volume serial.

I'm going to try to implement my Hardware ID through User Data, as I'm sure the client isn't changing any components.
John

Post by John »

Hello, I have tested the newly released VMProtect and the HDD identifier change issue has been resolved :D .

However, there is another thing that I believe you can solve. In this same case, after formatting the computer, when there are several Ethernet identifiers, some Ethernet identifiers may disappear after formatting, and this counts as a change in the HWID, but the other Ethernet identifiers remain intact, and since only one change is allowed, and they have changed both (Host and Ethernet), the license is invalid.

(I know that programs to emulate virtual machines, like VirtualBox, create Ethernet identifiers in the host computer, when we format these identifiers they disappear. This is also why what I described can happen).
debugger

Post by debugger »

@john, @admin,
It should allow for customization, not like now where wrong HWID calculated by internal ALGO decide if serial state is ok or not.
There should be full flexibility I see two solutions:
- either full flexible(choose which things to check and adjust also php app to make choice) - such choice presents in other lic prot software
where developer decide what to check e.g. for someone checking only ethernet is enough

- or(and) add option to return HWID alawas serial ok(despite hw checking falied) so user would control himself process.
Currently its impossible because even if you implement own HW checking VMptotect setial check fun returns error
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Guys, if you want to use own HWID checking just use the "UserData" to store it. This "feature" doesn't require any custom developing on our side.
John

Post by John »

Admin wrote:Guys, if you want to use own HWID checking just use the "UserData" to store it. This "feature" doesn't require any custom developing on our side.
Yes, in my case I'm already implementing it through UserData.

But I was just warning about the problem I found, the virtual Ethernet identifiers, which are created by programs like VirtualBox, VPN software, etc. That can disappear after formatting the computer and makes the license generated before become invalid.
debugger

Post by debugger »

@Admin, @John
I cannot agree, simple example:

Code: Select all

State := VMProtectSetSerialNumber(PAnsiChar(AnsiString(key)));
in this case how can I implement own algo where built-in will give me wrong HWID state? :cry:
User data is good idea anyway it will not work either due to above example.

So other idea require major changes in php License manager, simply saying it's now too complicated due to lack of very small features.
I'm quite sure many users would benefit.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

in this case how can I implement own algo where built-in will give me wrong HWID state?
Just don't lock a serial number by HWID.
So other idea require major changes in php License manager, simply saying it's now too complicated due to lack of very small features.
I'm quite sure many users would benefit.
You can modify PHP scripts for your purposes. I don't see any problems here.