VMP VM detection vs. Microsoft Hyper-V

Issues related to VMProtect
ChMo

VMP VM detection vs. Microsoft Hyper-V

Post by ChMo »

It seems the VMP 2.13. VM detection doesn't work well with Microsoft Hyper-V.
Once a protected application is run under Windows 8.1. Pro with Hyper-V, it refuses to run due to the VM detection.
I've spotted a related thread in the Russian section of the forum here: http://www.vmpsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1425

This occurs even though the protected application is not running inside a Hyper-V session. So it shouldn't refuse to run.
It works once the Hypervisor is killed using "dism.exe /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V".
Is this something that can be solved, so users won't have to disable their Hypervisor all the time?

Or can an explicit exception in the VMP settings be added, so users are permitted to run the application with Hyper-V running in the background.
There are machines which need to have Hyper-V enabled for other tasks, but then can't run VMP protected applications in parallel.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: VMP VM detection vs. Microsoft Hyper-V

Post by Admin »

Hyper-V works as a virtual machine, so I don't understand why VM detection doesn't work well?
ChMo

Re: VMP VM detection vs. Microsoft Hyper-V

Post by ChMo »

Yes, Hyper-V is detected, and that's the issue :)
Quite a few users have reported by now that they can't start the protected application due to the "VM detected" error.
They say they're running it on their "main OS", and not in a VM window.
However they have Hyper-V enabled, so they can run another OS without needing to reboot.

Thus I'm asking if the detection can be adapted, so the protected application doesn't refuse to run on the main OS.
If that's not possible, then an easy workaround would be to leave VM detection in general enabled, and to offer an option to disable the Hyper-V detection.